Sunday, February 14, 2010

Yesterday was embryo transfer day

Yesterday was my embryo transfer day. We showed up fifteen minutes early for our appointment and they showed me into the same room that my egg retrieval was. Our favorite Chinese nurse was with us...you know, she's grown to be my favorite nurse. They had me change bottoms down behind a curtain and then lie down. Scott and I just sat there, it took a while...we probably waited an hour.

The doc who came in was really nice. He was "jolly" as Scott whispered to me. So, this was a little nervous because I knew there was going to be no anesthesia. He tells us that we have
out of

17 egg restrieved
9 eggs fertilized
_____________

6 embryos made it

He said we had 2 embryos that were of good quality which we would receive today and the other four were of fair to good quality and we could freeze and use in the future. Awesome...that' what we really want.

The procedure wasn't painful but it wasn't fun. They put the speculum in which is cold and uncomfortable. Then he said my cervix was too high so he had me cough a couple times which he says pushes the uterus down. Okay. Then...he says this..."Hmmm, I'm still having trouble, I'm going to need to use forceps and grasp your forceps." !!!! He said it would be a twinge of pain...huge understatement. I wanted to be all relaxed so the uterus would be a calm place for our embryos. Nope, I was pretty tense. I told Scott imagine if someoen was using tongs to grasp your rectum. I think that's a fair equivalent. Sorry, if so gross but that's the best fit.

The nurse was real motherly and rubbed my arm and reassured me. They put in two embryos...I had to look away when they brought them in in the super long needle. Then they left me to lay there and rest for half an hour. I dressed and they sent us on our way.

I had a good friend who went through this insist on complete bedrest. Hmm, it's a little too hard to have complete bedrest but I'm living in our bedroom. It's hard not to go out and about and be normal. And eating meals is tough. I already spilled shoyu on the bedsheet. I did look up research and it does say that there's no research that indicates that bedrest has any advantage...but I do agree that I need to just be completely rested and do nothing.

A week from today is our beta test.

No comments:

Post a Comment