Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Egg Retrieval- Check

17 eggs recovered.



I was super nervous and anxious last night. I've never gone under anesthesia. I wasn't afraid of pain, I was afraid of the sensation of falling asleep and losing that control. I had laughing gas when I got my wisdom teeth pulled and I hated the first ten seconds of it....LOVED the next 35 minutes but that first ten seconds freaked me out. So, it took me a while to sleep.


This morning, first progesterone shot. Not bad. I hope we have to keep this up for three months if we get pregnant but I am sure that my butt is going to get resistant at some point.

Since I knew I couldn't eat or drink, it was all I could obsess about the minute my eyes opened. I was allowed to brush my teeth and I reveled in washing my mouth out with water. Didn't swallow any though. I follow rules.

We were told to go to the hospital basement...but not where to go. So we wandered around these gray hallways until we found a desk. they said we were supposed to go to the 1st floor, no, I insisted that they said to go to the basement. I know my details, girlie. The nurse comes and finds us and takes us into a tiny room. She says I'm going to change there into the gown and she'll take me into "the" room and scott can leave. Um, where is he going to go? I was told not to worry, he could come back and get me when I was done. What? I thought he would sit in the room and they would wheel me back in where he would be waiting. That's what I saw in those plastic surgeon offices on Dr. 90210 on tv. I asked if I could bring my book and was told no. sheesh, i was all prepared for some lounging.

They take me into the egg retrieval room where I see the bed with stirrups waiting for me and my breathing starts to get faster. I tell anyone and everyone that I'm scared of anesthesia, that's the scary part. So the anesthesiologist assures me that I'm going to be fine. She's surprised I've never gone under. I only had laughing gas and I fought it for the first 10 seconds. They have monitors on me so I hear my the beep of my heart rate. So, she puts in the IV and then she says, this first drug is going to make you drowsy. I hear the beep of my heart rate monitor machine jump and accelerate and I think "great, I'm going to have a heart attack and I'm going to actually get to hear it happen." I felt like when you take melatonin. Immediately, my lungs feel heavy and I freak out so I start concentrating on breathing...and I must have fallen asleep, because next thing I know these hands are propping me up and telling me that I'm done and they're moving me onto the gurney. Well, that's it. I'm done.

They took me into the post-anesthesia room to monitor my waking up and it takes me ten minutes before I'm fully alert. But, I don't have glasses on so I'm blind as a bat and trying to look everywhere. The machine is taking my blood pressure every five minutes and I'm squinting as hard as I can to try to see the numbers. I have really low blood pressure and I always like to know what it was. the nurse was real surprised by how fast I woke up. But the recovery rooms weren't ready for me so I had to wait another half hour in this intermediate room.

Finally, they take me into the reovery room where I'm by myself behind a curtain and I HAVE a little tv. They give me my bag with stuff and I pull out my glasses. I CAN SEE!!. Best part, they give me a cold Sprite. I don't even like Sprite but it was the best thing I ever tasted. I think I'm going to be a Sprite fan from now on. They bring in Scott, it's already been 2.5 hours since I last saw him. I excitedly point out my Sprite and the tv. They tell me that as soon as I'm hydrated and I can pee (I have to show them, eeewughww) they can discharge me. So, I suck away at that straw.
45 minutes later, Scott is not the most patient. He keeps asking "do you have to pee yet?" Nope, not yet. Then he starts giving me this look and shaking his head.
"What?"
"How are you not finished with that soda yet? It's been like forever."
"Um, you know I'm a sipper. I'm trying my best."

2 seconds later I finish the soda. I call the nurse to ask if I should try to use the bathroom even if I don't feel the urge yet. She tells me to wait. 5 min go by and now Scott is pacing the small room. A nurse he is not. He gets impatient and says he's going to use the bathroom. He ran into the nurse outside and he said something because they both came in and she suggested I use the bathroom. Turns out I could go and we could leave. Thank God because I was starving. I hadn't eaten anything in almost 20 hours.

They told Scott they got 17 eggs. That's incredible. I know a lot aren't mature but still at least starting with a better number than I thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment