Friday, January 22, 2010

5 Lupron Injections Down

My sister asked me how my injections went. The first one was planned for this past Sunday and the nurse recommended that we preload ten syringes with lup.ron and just keep on hand. I had these visions of us having a quiet, empty house where we could practice loading the syringes and we would review my notes for injections. Big fat wrong.

I had a superlong day at work, drove to Waipahu to pick up my 3 year old niece, came home for us to drive to Maunawili Park to play tennis with our gang of friends...only to be followed to our house by half the gang. Thankfully, on his own, Scott had managed to premake four needles before I came home from work. So, we took fifteen seconds for me to plop down (next to my niece who was coloring) and Scott shot my leg up with Lupron. It was quicky and pretty painless. We didn't really prepare so he forgot two things, like holding my leg with the other hand (the next day he did it and it feels ten times better) and counting to three to make sure the medicine disperses. 1 syringe used...3 left. We planned to take some quiet time in the following days to prepare the other syringes. Big chubby wrong.

We are painting our kitchen and repairing the floor in one of the bedrooms. So the contents of our kitchen are strewn over every possible surface in the house and every day I come home to Scott, our kitchen painter, the kitchen painter's family (pregnant wife and three kids), our friend carpenter and his friend (they hang out together everyday). It's been chaotic. Last night, we had to take the microwave off the dining room table so we had a corner to make more syringes.

I must say, shots in the leg are the least scary. Legs seem tougher and less sensitive. I wish all the shots were in the legs. But there was one night, the night before last night, when it hurt like dickens. I don't know what happened. But it hurt like crazy going in and hurt like crazy the entire time. When he pulled it out, there was a big fat droplet of blood. I'm not kidding, it was so painful. Now there's fear when I have to my nightly L.upron shot. Thankfully, last night was back to a normal shot feeling. But you have to rotate legs, so tonight it's back to the leg that had the painful experience. Oooh, nervous.

I've read some of the side effects of L.upron and it scares me a little. I'm kinda worried we are doing it wrong because I haven't noticed any side effects. No hot flashes. My hips hurt the first night but it might have been from playing tennis because it faded away. I hope we didn't load the syringes wrong or are using defunct medicine and that's why I don't feel any different. THe nurse said it was a real low amount and we may not feel anything. Yesterday was super long and super stressful so I'm tired and overwhelmed at work. I can't wait to go home and have an hour of nothing before the night craziness begins. There's like a party going on in my office or something...it's been loud all day, all these people who work in different offices have decided to come socialize with my coworkers. It hurts my head. No work done today....just waiting to go home.

No comments:

Post a Comment